The Zenith ZAP is a derivative of the Zenith CA-40 pistol and is a perma-silenced, non-lethal weapon that serves as the close-ranged counterpart to the TRQ 203-C Longsword. It serves as a trusty weapon for a stealthy player who wishes avoid performing takedowns to conserve bioenergy, or because getting up close to their target would risk detection.
The ZAP takes down all human enemies in a single hit, except for EXO-suits and Victor Marchenko. The ZAP is still useful against them by being able to momentarily stun them (albeit for a short duration), allowing the player to immediately follow up with a takedown during the stun period. The ability to handle both all human enemies makes the ZAP a versatile weapon. However, unlike its predecessor in Human Revolution, the ZAP cannot disable security devices and Bots.
When faced with more than one target at close range, the ZAP's bolt-action nature may be too cumbersome for dealing with many hostiles in open combat. Moreover, stun darts are relatively uncommon. These are some of the drawbacks of the ZAP.
The laser sight weapon modification is especially useful on the ZAP, because the laser dot only appears when the target is within range, and disappears when the target is out of range. For this reason, the laser sight permits the player to easily determine whether a particular target is within range. Additionally, the laser sight significantly increases the accuracy of the ZAP.
- The ZAP has to be cycled after each shot, and Jensen is uncloaked after firing, so using it while standing out in the open can lead to the player being detected without being able to retaliate in time. Always stay in cover when firing the ZAP.
- Despite being silenced, the ZAP could still attract the attention of enemies if it is fired too close to them, or if it hits their armor plates.
- This weapon is incredibly inaccurate while moving. If you intend to keep it, prioritize upgrading it with a laser sight.
- In the System Rift DLC, the basement of the liquor store holds a stun gun with a base reload of 80. It's also fully upgraded, including a laser sight. Note that the abnormal reload speed also applies to the rechambering between shots. It can be found behind some fridges in the basement, alongside a box of stun gun darts.
- Based on its bolt-action operation, the ZAP was probably inspired by the Welrod suppressed pistol.
- Contrary to the inventory description, the ZAP is not a single-shot weapon as each load of ammunition provides several shots worth of Stun Darts before requiring a reload even in its vanilla state.