The Typhoon Explosive System (TES) is a powerful mechanical augmentation developed by Sarif Industries for military purposes. It is a series of interlinked electromagnetic launchers installed in the user's arms and connected to a processor at the base of the user's spine. The system launches a number of spheres loaded with shaped liquid crystal elastomer filled with pentaerythritol tetranitrate microcharges which then explode, sending small steel ball bearings out as lethal shrapnel in all directions around the firer. The shaped microcharges ensure that all explosive force and shrapnel is directed away from the firer. The turret version of the TES uses rotating lasers to detect intruders and launches their explosives once the lasers are tripped. The augmentation version of the TES fires the explosives from ports in the user's Cybernetic Arm Prosthesis at the will of the user. Early versions of the Typhoon augmentation suffered a back-blast issue that would harm the user. This issue was solved via a combat Cybernetic Arm Prosthesis chassis, modified with kinetic bleeders.
A prototype of the Typhoon turret appears in the prologue of Human Revolution (being demonstrated to General O'Neill by Dr. Vasili Sevchenko). Dr. Sevchenko is also wearing a modified combat arm augmentation used to test the Typhoon. A prototype Typhoon augmentation is installed in Adam Jensen, after he is heavily augmented following the Tyrants attack on Sarif HQ. Months later the finished versions of the Typhoon augmentation, that were being prepped for testing by the Department of Defense, are the target of the attack at Milwaukee Junction by Purity First leader Zeke Sanders, which prompts David Sarif to bring Adam Jensen out of sick leave in order to deal with the situation. Unknown to Purity First, they are just being used as distraction. A sleeper agent, on the payroll of Tai Yong Medical (TYM), was using the chaos of the attack to hack into Sarif Industries files and steal the Typhoon's design, as well as recover one of the prototypes to be reverse engineered. Adam manages to stop the hacker before he finishes the file upload and recovers the Typhoon prototype, before delivering it to Frank Pritchard for examination.
Despite stopping the hacker from finishing uploading the Typhoon's schematic files, TYM managed to reverse engineer the designs (after briefly struggling with the back-blast problem). TYM then installed Typhoons into Belltower's heavily augmented Ogre troops, and the Tyrants' assassin: Yelena Fedorova. Typhoon turrets were also installed in Belltower's black site: Rifleman Bank Station.
The Typhoon can be used by Adam after he is augmented, available in the torso slot in the augmentations menu. It can be initially activated with two Praxis points, and further upgraded with an additional point. While the first level can effectively neutralize any non-boss human enemy within the blast radius, it lacks the power needed to destroy bots. The second level gives the TES the power to destroy almost anything in a single use; bosses will take at least a second such blast. Both levels one and two of the Typhoon require one energy cell to use.
Ammunition for the Typhoon is fairly rare outside of LIMB clinics although it may be found. The ammo takes up two slots in the inventory, and stacks up to five.
Belltower's Ogres will activate their Typhoons if Jensen gets close to them. They spread their arms and briefly taunt Jensen before firing, giving him time to retreat to safety or use a takedown. Typhoon ammo can also be found on them once they are neutralized.
Yelena Fedorova will sprint toward Jensen, before activating her Typhoon, giving the player a chance to shoot at her or use his own Typhoon blast. If Jensen escapes from the range of her Typhoon, she will sprint at him again, for a total of 3 firings, before recloaking. Eliza Cassian will warn Jensen just before she starts sprinting.
Rifleman Bank Station's Typhoon turrets are laser-activated, meaning they will engage if Jensen trips one of their sensor beams, which are thankfully short in range. Typhoon turrets cannot be moved, destroyed or remotely deactivated. It is however possible to temporarily disable them using the stun gun. Some Typhoons are hidden in the floor and will only appear if an alarm is triggered.
- In Deus Ex: Human Revolution, the Typhoon rounds of Jensen, the Ogres, Fedorova, and the turrets in Rifleman Bank Stations do not explode until they make contact with the ground. While the rounds for Sarif Industies' prototype turret in Human Revolution, and the augment in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, airburst.
- It is unknown why LIMB, a medical clinic, would stock Typhoon ammo.
- Sarif Industries and TYM outsourced Typhoon ammo production to Sea-Tec.
- Dr. Sevchenko mentions that the Typhoon needed to have additional work done on it to improve ts accuracy, after demonstrating the prototype turret.
- Dr. Sevchenko mentions that his augmented arm is compatible with the Typhoon, possibly being the original functioning prototype of the augmentation variant.
- If this is the case, then Tong Si Hung also has a Typhoon. As he stole Sevchenko's arm following the former's death.
- Adam Jensen's trench coat is designed with ports that magnetically attach to his Typhoon launchers, allowing him to fire it while wearing it.
- Yelena Federova's character model does not have any ports for the augment to fire through, nor do her arms look augmented at all.
- Quincy Durant has a functional prototype TYM Typhoon seemingly just days after the designs were stolen. Jensen comments that it seems like a "rudimentary" copy of his version. The canonicity of this, and the comics, is questionable.