| "I once thought I could save the world... now look at it"
— Spoilers for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided follow!
Task Force 29 or TF29 is an anti-terrorist intelligence and response team funded by Interpol. Its goal is to tackle the rise in terrorism following the Aug Incident. To deal with these threats as effectively as possible, TF29 has global jurisdiction without being impeded by bureaucracy. The task force is headquartered in Lyon, and has local divisions operating in various places around the world, including North America, Prague, Oman, and London.
In 2027, shortly after the Aug Incident, black market sales of weapons and augmentations, acquired by both sides of the augmentation debate, reach unprecedented heights. At the same time, local intelligence agencies fail to stop a series of high-profile attacks around the globe, by both the augmented and the "naturals". Blaming the failures on a lack of international intelligence-sharing, the U.N. pleads for the formation of TF29, an integrated anti-terrorist intelligence and response team overseen by Interpol. Joseph Manderley is appointed to run it and is aided by a series of branch directors.
In 2028, the North American division of TF29 is in Detroit to intercept the arms dealer Sheppard's illegal trafficking of military-grade augmentations. With the help of Adam Jensen, who had recently fallen into the custody of TF29, they prevent Sheppard from air lifting the augmentations out of Detroit, although Sheppard himself escapes. The local TF29 commander, Christian Jarreau, asks Jensen to consider joining TF29. Later, TF29 attempts to ship the augmentations by train to a military base for disposal, but are attacked by augmented operatives sent by the Illuminati to retrieve the augmentations. The TF29 operatives on the train are killed, but Jensen causes the train to derail and crash, destroying the augmentations in the process. Afterwards, Jensen warms up to the idea of joining TF29.
In 2029, TF29 is still trying to capture Sheppard. The Lyon headquarters receive a tip from an undercover agent that the Sheppard will be in Dubai for an arms deal with a terrorist group. Despite the fact that the Oman Division is significantly closer to Dubai, director Manderley orders Jim Miller to send his Prague division. In Dubai, the Prague team ends up getting ambushed by gold-masked mercenaries but are able to prevent the mercenaries from escaping. One TF29 member believes that they were sent to Dubai intentionally to witness this ambush.
TF29 suspects the Augmented Rights Coalition of being behind multiple terrorist attacks, including the bombing of Růžička Station. For this reason, it wishes to bring ARC's leader, Talos Rucker, in for questioning. The Task Force sends Adam Jensen to ARC headquarters inside Golem City to extract Rucker. However, once Jensen arrives at Rucker's office, he explains that ARC is being framed for terrorist attacks and that the framers are in "plain sight" before dying from an unnatural cause.
When Jensen gets back to Prague, he learns from a stored NSN conversation that the head director, Manderley, is an Illuminati conspirator and is behind Rucker's death. Furthermore, the Illuminati are trying to pin a series of terrorist attacks on ARC, including a fake attack on VersaLife.
Once TF29 realizes that Nathaniel Brown is the target for another terrorist attack (with only Jensen knowing it was orchestrated by the Illuminati) the Prague Division makes its way to London to prevent it.
- The Prague Division currently has 87 agents in the area.
- The hactivist group known as the Juggernaut Collective slip one of their members, Adam Jensen, onto the Prague division of Task Force 29. The Collective suspect that TF29 is a front for the Illuminati.
- In a ingame eBook of Deus Ex: Human Revolution is proposed that the UN consider a creation of a new trans-national anti-terror force. This proposal was effective, since later TF29 is formed.
- Due to Manderley being an Illuminati member, it is possible that TF29 is the forerunner to UNATCO.
- Several counter-terrorism agents appear alongside MacReady and Jensen in Deus Ex Universe: Children's Crusade but are not seen or mentioned in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (with the exception of Jana Niemi). It has not been revealed what happened to them in the 6 months between the two events.
See also Edit
- Local headquarters of the Prague Division
- Task Force 29 - Mission Statement (eBook)
- In Terror Firma, an eBook on the events that led to the formation of Task Force 29 and the agency's scope of authority