| "I once thought I could save the world... now look at it"
— Spoilers for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided follow!
M16: Stopping Marchenko is the 16th main mission in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and one of the last missions (depending if you did M17: Protecting the Future) first. Adam Jensen must stop Marchenko from detonating bombs that will kill hundreds of people, but at the cost of the UN delegates lives and letting the Human Restoration Act pass.
Stop Marchenko Before He Blows Up the Towers Edit
If you did M12: The Heist and got the Orchid cure, you can use it right after the cutscene to save Jim Miller (and get the He's [Not] Dead, Jim achievement). Otherwise, he will die here. If you did M17 first, see notes if having trouble with the marker's location.
If you are doing this mission first and want to save the delegates as well, you will have to take out Marchenko quickly. A few different options to do so are based on what you did in the game:
- If you did M11: Confronting the Bomb-Maker and got Allison Staněk to give you the switch, you can use it to prevent Marchenko from detonating the bombs.
- If you are not going for the Pacifist achievement and got Damocles' Sword (Marchenko's killswitch), you can use it during the prompt or anytime during the fight with him.
- A quick way for non-lethal is to make a couple EMP mines and lure him in. When they go off, you can then run over and do a non-lethal takedown.
- You can also shoot Marchenko with a stun gun and quickly proceed with a takedown. Just make sure it is in stealth because otherwise Marchenko will activate his TITAN aug, negating the stun gun shot.
Once you have dealt with Marchenko, if you have not saved the delegates yet, run back to the catering area where Miller was found and through that door. Otherwise it will cut to the ending and you can see how your choices play out in your conversation with Alex and on the news.
- If you did M17 first, the marker may be confusing as where to go. What you need to do is just get back to the reception hall, so go back down the hall to the doors you came through and past the catering area. Jump down to the main floor and go through the doors on the left and follow the marker to a set of doors which, when opened, lead to a cutscene confrontation with Marchenko.
- If you are trying for the achievement, Spokes in Two Wheels, it is best to save the delegates first, especially if you did not do The Heist to get the cure, or used it to save Miller. This is because if you take too long with Marchenko, they will either be dead or have already drank the Orchid, and without the cure you will not be able to save them.
- Similarly, if you are trying for Tablet Collector, you need to do the delegates first, as the last eBook is in the conference room.