General Sheppard O'Neill is a character in Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
He was present at the Sarif Industries labs at the night of attack by the Tyrants, checking the progress on Typhoon Explosive System. Vasili Sevchenko, one of the scientists working on the project, provided him with a demonstration of a very early version of the augmentation, with which O'Neill was impressed.
Behind the scenesEdit
- O'Neill is Canadian, as his uniform has the Canadian "Land Forces Command Badge" (white badge with 2 swords going through a Maple Leaf) and also has his Parachute Qualification "Jump Badge" Wings. His Epaulettes identify him as a Brigadier General.
- Later in the game, if the player hacks David Sarif's computer in his office, they can read an e-mail in which he and O'Neill discuss the concept of a "skull-gun", which in Sarif's opinion would never be viable as a mechanical augmentation. It's a reference of the nano augmentation "Skull gun" wanted by Gunther Hermann in Deus Ex and was to appear in Deus Ex: Invisible War usable by the nano-aug protagonist Alex Denton before it was cut for the final version of the game and only a datacube in the ruins of UNATCO HQ talk about it.
- General O'Neill may be inspired by Stargate SG-1 character, Colonel Jack O'Neill. On the show, O'Neill often says "Thats O'Neill, with 2 Ls". His first name may also be a reference to John Shepard, the main character for Stargate: Atlantis. Both Stargate shows were also filmed in Canada.
- General Sheppard may also be inspired by General Sheppard, the Commander of the Global Defense Initiative in Command and Conquer: Tiberian Dawn video game.
- General Sheppard could also be inspired by the male Commander Shepard of the Mass Effect series by BioWare.