Ogres are a type of Belltower Spec Ops, along with the shifter, sneaker, and soldier. Ogres are heavily augmented and extremely dangerous, equipped with the best technology, and only deployed to take care of the highest-priority situations. Ogres should not be confused with the typical "heavy" variant of enemy, who are far more common and far less dangerous by comparison.
Ogres are usually found only in areas of high importance such as Picus Communications, Rifleman Bank Station, Omega Ranch, and the Belltower hanger under XNG Shipping. Another one can be found in the Old Noodle Factory, as part of a team holding Tracer Tong hostage.
Ogres are capable of high damage and can require a lot of damage to take down. They are more difficult to take down with an open assault than their smaller compatriots. If they spot Jensen, they will fire at him with their M404 Heavy Rifles at range or activate their Typhoons if he is too close.
Its recommended for the player to avoid an open conflict with ogres, as they can kill Jensen very quickly. It is generally better to avoid them or sneak up to them to perform a takedown. If an ogre is engaged, aim for headshots as their augmented torsos can take a ton of damage before killing them. Grenades, a grenade launcher, a sniper rifle, or a revolver with the explosive rounds upgrade is recommended. Despite their high ballistic damage protection, ogres are just as vulnerable to one-hit knock outs such as the stun gun, tranquilizer rifle, gas grenades/mine, and takedowns as with any other enemy.
Their heavy armor and weapons hinder their mobility, making them very slow. Use this to out maneuver them. Ogres are often complemented with Spec Ops soldiers and sneakers to compensate for this. If engaged, its generally recommended to target the Ogre last, as his faster teammates can flush Jensen out of cover and into his line of fire.
- The are the first enemy encountered that has a Typhoon, with two of them encountered in Picus News HQ. This acts as a warning that Fedorova, the Tyrant encountered in Eliza Cassan's server room, also has a Typhoon installed.
- They are the toughest and most heavily armed non-boss human enemies in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. They are the toughest enemies encounters in Deus Ex: The Fall.
- Sometimes Ogres will shout "OO-RAH!" when engaging Jensen, indicating they were once part of the U.S. Marine Corps.
- When activating their Typhoon, an ogre will spread his arms, then either roar or yell "Here it comes!" to taunt Jensen.
- Ogres encountered in Deus Ex: The Fall do not have Typhoons, as the games take place before Tai Yong Medical steals the design.
- A second type of ogre appears in The Missing Link. They are equipped with helmets instead of balaclavas, but this has absolutely no effect on their health and it takes the same number of head shots from any weapon to kill them as a normal ogre.
Behind the scenes Edit
- In Deus Ex: Black Light, Adam Jensen notes that Ogres are considered a class of augmented persons who qualify as lethal weapons just by existing. He also notes that Gunther Hermann belongs to this class of Augs.
- Ogres may carry ammunition for the Typhoon Explosive System on their bodies, however, they will on the rare occasion use the augmentation themselves defensively if Jensen is spotted within close proximity.
- As all humans share the same animations for take downs and the ogre is noticeably taller than the average human, sometimes take down animations do not match up correctly such as Adam Jensen tapping the target's diaphragm as opposed to their shoulder and punching them in the chest rather than the face.