Neuropozyne, informally called No-Poz or Nu-Poz, is a drug used by the mechanically augmented in the 2020s. It helps prevent neuroprosthesis rejection syndrome, a build-up of scar tissue that blocks electrical signals between augmentation electrodes and human tissue, ultimately resulting in rejection. It was created by Darrow Industries and is now manufactured exclusively by VersaLife.
Unlike simple non-cybernetic implants, like a hip replacement which can be made from hypoallergenic materials, there is a need for any cybernetic augmentation that will "feel" and can be moved by the mind to have a neuroprosthetic junction, in essence a chip located within the brain to act as the interface between body and machine. Darrow Industries pioneered the PEDOT-cluster array design which was constructed to include both the organic conducting polymer electrodes and the neurons which would interface with the host's neurons, hence why it is called a "biochip".
The problem with implanting the biochip is that it causes glial tissue to build up around the junction, causing what is best described as nerve scars. The scarring eventually disrupts the integrity of the neuroprosthetic junction causing a rejection syndrome known as Darrow Deficiency Syndrome (DDS).
Neuropozyne is a compound that prevents the buildup of glial nerve tissue around the junction. It is available by prescription only and weekly doses are required to prevent the disruption of the junction. Although it is not produced with especially rare materials, its distribution is heavily monitored and it can sell for extraordinary prices on the black market.
In 2027, there is a shortage of Neuropozyne. VersaLife claims that this is due to various setbacks it has experienced. During this shortage, a competitor drug known as Riezene emerges. It is unlikely that the Neuropozyne shortage is coincidental given that Riezene, like Neuropozyne, is produced by the Illuminati using Zaaphire Biotech as a front.
The high price of Neuropozyne makes it difficult for less wealthy augmented people to afford the drug. This drives some people to acquire the drug by other illegal means. The Sarif Industries employees Brian Tindall and Tim Carella steal Neuropozyne from the company's Detroit labs and distribute if for free to people who cannot afford it. For the same reason, people are willing to use the experimental but cheaper alternative, Riezene, despite the fact that it has not been shown to be completely safe.Following the Aug Incident and the subsequent closure of LIMB clinics, it becomes increasingly difficult for augmented people to get hold of the drug. In cities such as Útulek Station, where the augmented are sent to live in isolation, the police force has control of the Neuropozyne supply, and thus of the people that live there. During a hostage situation in Dresden, Germany, one of the requests made by the augmented terrorists responsible was for a generic form of Neuropozyne to be produced. This would result in the drug becoming much cheaper as VersaLife would no longer hold a monopoly over it. However the situation is resolved without the request being met.
Deus Ex: Mankind DividedEdit
In Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Neuropozyne is a collectible item that can be:
- sold to merchants for 1000 ,
- given to other characters in exchange for information or to help them deal with the Neuropozyne withdrawal.
|Character||Count||Reward / Comments|
|Kazatel||9 in total (3 on each visit to Prague)||6 Points of Interest in total (2 on each visit), and 3 keycodes/passwords in total (1 on each visit)|
|Teresa Petrauskas (bartender at Svobody Beer)||1||Code (1015) to the basement, where there is a stash of loot behind a hidden wall. Also an offer of 3 hypostims, 5 shotgun EMP ammo, and 100 crafting parts for 350 .|
|Aurelius Milkovich (vendor at Sobchak Security)||1||Access to the shop's basement that contains various loot.|
|Dr. Martine Onziema||1||Some information on Talos Rucker, plus a storage locker code (you will need to ask for it though).|
|Irenka Bauer and/or Edward Brod||1 or 2||Depending on how you handled the side mission The Golden Ticket, you will meet the person whose permit you did not validate, or both of them if you failed both permits. Each will ask if you have any Neuropozyne to spare.|
This list is incomplete. You can help the Deus Ex Wiki by expanding it.
Prague (Southern Part)
- 1 in apt. 23 (Teresa Petrauskas's apartment) at Zelen Apartments, in a level 3 safe (code 9002) behind the fridge. You will need the "move heavy objects" aug.
- 1 in apt. 31 (Daria Myška's apartment) at Zelen Apartments, in the bathroom sink cabinet.
- 2 in Václav Koller's underground clinic, on a bookshelf near his computer desk and another near medical chair.
- 2 in a building immediately to the east of the Time Machine (the storefront of Václav Koller's clininc). Access the building by turning left at the main entrance to the Time Machine, and then break a weakened wall section.
- 1 in a safe located in the southeast section of the courtyard near the police checkpoint.
- 1 behind a breakable wall in the southeast section of the courtyard near the police checkpoint. Drop down and find the vial near a dead civilian.
- 1 in Richard the Great's hideout, inside the medical container next to the computer desk (accessible during or after the side mission Cult of Personality).
- 1 in a drawer in Allison Staněk's apartment at the Church of the MachineGod. Accessible during or after M11: Confronting the Bomb-Maker.
- 1 on a balcony above the courtyard where Kazatel is located during the first visit to Prague.
- 1 on table in the middle of Neon laboratory.
Prague (Northern Part)
- 13 (total) in Palisade Property Bank:
- 6 in a gas-filled room in Lekarna Pharmacy, accessible by the vent opening at the stairs.
- 3 in TF29 HQ infirmary, inside a level 2 safe (code 4822).
- 3 in the L.I.M.B. Clinic's ceiling area. Two are in a box, and one is in a case.
- 3 (total) in Libuse Apartments:
- 2 in the right-side storage unit at the small courtyard northeast of Palisade Bank (code 1293). The storage unit also contains a credit chip worth more than 3000 .
- 1 in the basement of Negozio di Magia, inside a medical container under the table.
- 1 is given after meeting with Delara Auzenne in the mission M6: Taking Care of Business.
- 1 in an apartment above the Praha Unneda Cleaning Supply building to the northwest of Monument Station. The apartment is accessible through the balcony facing Monument Station. The Neuropozyne is on the body of a deceased civilian inside.
- 1 in a second-level apartment east of Čerň-Zlatý. The vial is in the bathroom shelf.
- 1 in the underground section of Pilgrim Station (northeastern metro station). The underground section is accessible through a locked door at the end of the station. The vial is located in the farthest underground room.
- 1 in Level 1 of Palisade Property Bank garage, plastic case in gas fiiled area, under dead end short corridor.
- 2 in the police storage area near Sokol’s apartment, on opposite shelves to the left and right of the breaker switch.
- 1 in a small living unit belonging to Mary Morevic that is above Sokol's apartment. Use remote hacking to access the unit. Then, search the containers for a bottle of Neuropozyne.
- 1 in back area of Louis Gallois shop on small table with various medicine.
- 1 in RVAC row, in the security office near the laser grid at the west end of the commissary on level 2, in a medical cooler.
- 1 in a level 5 safe in Talos Rucker's secret room (the safe also contains a Praxis kit and a triangle code).
- 1 in the tent structure in Hanger 2, by a computer at the center of the tent.
- 1 in the level 3 area adjacent to Hanger 2, in a case in the dining room in which the ARC solders have been poisoned.
- During experiments performed on him as a child by VersaLife, Adam Jensen's biology was altered in such a way that he does not require Neuropozyne to prevent scarring and rejection. This makes him the only known mechanically augmented person that does not rely on the drug.
- Neuropozyne is comparable to Ambrosia in Deus Ex. The latter is required to temporarily stave off the harmful effects of the Gray Death nano-virus. Neuropozyne and Ambrosia are manufactured by VersaLife, and both drugs are heavily controlled by organizations in power (namely the Illuminati and Majestic 12). As a result, both are exceedingly rare and this allows them to be used as leverages to gain power over persons or organizations.
- When mixed with the drug Neon, Neuropozyne becomes poisonous and triggers a fatal allergic reaction in an augmented individual.