The Mustang Arms .357 Magnum is a derivative of the Diamond Back .357, featuring an enhanced trigger group, bore and optimized cylinder to allow for a faster fire rate, more accurate shot placement, quicker reloads and larger magazine size overall. The slightly lowered damage is a rather marginal trade off, all considering.
It is a dependable backup weapon, being reasonably accurate at most ranges despite not having a scope to tackle distant targets. Dealing solid damage values per bullet, it can reliably down most lightly-armored enemies with one to two bodyshots, or single shots to the head. Its crosshair bloom is rather minimal and the recoil can be comfortably controlled after a bit of getting used to. Fitting a laser sight to the weapon can help with aiming in areas with poor lighting.
All in all, the Mustang Arms .357 is a good weapon to use against smaller groups of light foes, but its potential is substantially reduced when the player is mobbed, faced with armored enemies, or both. Ammo is also a rather pressing issue as even basic .357 ammunition are rather scarce and pricey, thus requiring the player to be accurate in order to make the most out of the weapon.
- Obtaining the Otar's .357 requires the player to either kill or knock out its owner, meaning they'll have to forfeit quite a large number of side quests and achievements if done early in the game. If missed, the player may be able to encounter Otar again during the lockdown at the Dvali Theater, where he can be neutralized and his revolver taken without any repercussion.
- An unupgraded revolver will be added to the player's inventory during MM1: Black Market Buy if the short-ranged lethal method of engagement is picked.
- .357 AP ammunition is the rarest non-grenade ammunition in the game; roughly 180 such bullets can be found, and fully half of them must be purchased.
- Due to the quirky way AP ammunition works, the diamondback is a deceptively powerful weapon. Without upgrades, a single body shot is enough to kill blue armor metro cops. Fully upgraded, a single body shot will drop 'veteran' level rhino armor shadow operatives. Only black armor cops, 'elite' level shadow ops and ARC soldiers, as well as exosuits can tank more than two body shots. So while you may not have a lot of bullets, you really won't need that many, either.
Classic Diamond Back .357Edit
- Included as part of the Classic Gear DLC, available as a free download.
- A slightly reworked version of the original Diamond Back with higher damage per shot and better recoil control. Only loads Armor Piercing rounds.
- A custom-made revolver and trusty sidearm of Otar Botkoveli. Can be looted from his body after killing or knocking him out.
- Unique 4x scoped version that cannot be modified. Deals high damage per shot and is the most accurate revolver variant, but fires slowly, has a rather lengthy reload and cannot be modified. Only accepts Armor Piercing rounds.
- The Mustang Arms .357 was likely inspired by the Dardick tround concept.
- The Classic and Otar's .357 variants has the upgraded barrel of the explosive rounds kit from Human Revolution, but fire Armor Piercing bullets instead.