The Linebacker G-87 MSGL is a semi-automatic grenade launcher developed by Steiner-Bisley GmbH. It fires low velocity 40mm grenades, each of which are loaded with a high explosive fragmentation charge. The weapon uses a unique horizontally-mounted loading system. The magazine is mounted above the barrel.
The grenades are pushed forward by spring pressure and arrive at the end of the magazine, then are fed as a single row into a spiral feed ramp and rotated 90 degrees, aligning with the chamber. The magazine can hold 6 grenades despite the fact that it seems to carry more than 6 rounds.
- This weapon is available only through some pre-order packs and it's the only pre-order weapon that you cannot have directly in your inventory in the first mission. You receive it as a reward from Tong Si Hung for rescuing his son from Belltower mercenaries in the mission "You Scratch My Back, I'll Scratch Yours".
- The Linebacker does the same damage as the Rocket Launcher, but fires faster, has a higher rate of fire, and reloads faster. Aside from the slight arc of the projectiles, it is simply a better weapon. This makes it one of the best weapons in the game for the boss fights. However, considering the rarity of ammo for it, if you intend to use it for boss fights, you should save all the ammo for just those fights specifically.
- A second grenade launcher can be found in a store room off the electrified corridors at the start of Panchaea.
- This weapon can be upgraded with 2 reload speed and 2 rate of fire upgrades.
- Requires 4x3 inventory space and can be sold for 1750 credits.
- The Linebacker MSGL appears in the reveal trailer for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, being deployed against Adam Jensen by Viktor Marchenko near the end of the teaser.
- Unlike in the trailer, the Linebacker proper does not have the ability to fire airburst grenades.
- The Linebacker MSGL's magazine and feed system were likely inspired by the FN P90.
- The Linebacker's inventory icon lacks a trigger.