The LS-66 does not fire a set number of "rounds". Instead, it uses batteries, which have an initial charge of 500, which is about ten seconds of sustained fire. While the weapon does have an overheat gauge like the M404 Heavy rifle, it does not seem to heat up when the fire button is held, a possible bug in the initial PC release.
Jean-Francois Dugas, main designer of Deus Ex: Human Revolution says:
"It's a weapon that allows you to shoot through walls so you just have to shoot, really. Combined with the Smart Vision (augmentation to see through walls) it makes for deadly combo. However, I'm telling you right away, it's a very difficult weapon to get..."
- The LS-66 accepts upgrades for reload speed, damage output, and ammo capacity.
- The Laser rifle has a perfect pinpoint accuracy even when fired blindly from behind cover. This is especially useful against Jaron Namir.
- Its ability to penetrate cover allows the player to skip most of the final boss fight by penetrating the boss's protective barrier. This allows the final battle to be completed in less than 5 seconds.
- You can maximize ammunition by carrying enough Ammo Capacity upgrades. When you find a laser rifle, use 4 upgrades then equip it: it will end up having 900 ammunitions loaded. If you are thorough you can find a total of 16 upgrades before fighting Namir, allowing you to upgrade the 3 laser rifles and a Pistol for example. If you intend to fully upgrade one of the laser rifles, just drop it when you find a new one, upgrade the new one then drop it, recover your main laser rifle and finally recover the 900 laser batteries. The only downside is having to carry all the upgrades. This behavior seems to be fixed in the latest PC patches.
- The laser rifle is an energy weapon with the ability to shoot through walls, making it a likely technological predecessor to the Mag Rail.
- The greatest potential of the laser rifle discloses Smart Vision augment. Alternatively, you can use a Mark and Track augment for aiming a laser beam through the walls. Additionally, Mark and Track augment allows you eliminate the marked targets from a great distance (up to 50 meters) and through the several walls at once, this helps to stay unnoticed and get the Ghost XP bonus as a result.
- One of these weapons is found behind Tong Si Hung at the Harvester hideout at the conclusion of the mission Find Vasili Sevchenko's GPL Device. You can also find ammunition (500) in a safe (the one in the container) in the hideout, and sitting on a desk (500) near where the electrified room is (by the switch to turn off the electricity).
- In Singapore, inside of a storage room near an outdoor bot patrol shortly before Jensen uploads the virus.
- Inside the room where Namir is fought.
- At Panchaea, there is laser battery ammunition.
- The LS-66 would not really be considered a "rifle" were it to exist in real life, due to it being a directed-energy emitter and thus would not possess any rifling in its barrel.
- Using the secondary fire key allows the player to look through the telescopic sight on the weapon, providing minor zoom and centering the laser beam on the screen. On the PC version, however, there is a bug where neither the texture for the scope, nor the crosshair appears.
- The model for the weapon has the scope mounted on the right-hand side of the barrel, where it would be impossible for a right-handed person (eg. Adam) to use.
- On the PC version, after completing the Missing Link, the Laser Rifle will have a laser on it, and above the ammo it will show that it has an overheat on it. It wont overheat, and the laser that it has on it does not help that much.