M1 - Kill Mikhail Kontarsky is a mission in Deus Ex: The Fall. It is the first part of the prologue and serves as the introductory tutorial to the game.
Primary Objective Edit
Hotel Novoe Rostov Edit
Follow Jaron Namir. Take cover when he does. Namir will order you to kill three guards using the crossbow. Once you're done, vault over the cover and follow Namir. He will hack open a door for you. Go inside and take down/ kill the guard. Then follow Namir. He will ask you to "deny their communications." Look to Namir's right and you will see a giant communications tower. Go to it and place a jammer. Once comms are dead, go back to Namir. Lawrence Barrett a.k.a The Bull will graciously rip open a hatch for you. Go into the vents and the level changes.
Go forward. You won't face much resistance until you reach a turret midway through. First-time players are advised not to engage in combat with it. Take cover instead and move left from cover to cover. You will reach a door with a level 1 lock. Hack it, go inside and keep moving forward. Down a flight of stairs, a door will take you to the 13th floor.
13th Floor Edit
On the 13th floor take out or sneak past an unbuilt section with three guards. Up ahead is a door with a level 1 lock--hack it or use the code (6980). Alternatively you can use the door on the left side (there is a mine along the way). Moving forward Namir will say that Kontarsky is nearby but it's actually a decoy. Go ahead and take out the plug.
Once the thermoptic shielding is down two guards will come looking for you. Take out or sneak past them on your way to the next level.
Up ahead you will encounter your first robot. First-time players are advised not to fight with it--sneak past and move forward. There is a single EMP grenade nearby you can use on the robot. Moving forward you reach a door with a level 1 lock--hack it or use the code (0451; available from a pocket secretary nearby). Past the door you will encounter a laser grid. Go invisible to get past or else you invite the attentions of a nearby robot. Mikhail Kontarsky is in a room ahead. Go inside and a cutscene ensues. You can choose to kill or spare the target.
- The tutorial introduces the player to many key concepts related to the game:
- Rooftop: introduces concepts of movement, looking, aiming, and firing weapons. Also demonstrates how to perform takedowns, and interact with objects.
- Top Floor - demonstrates how to move whilst in cover and hacking.
- 13th Floor - demonstrates weapon upgrades (silencers and similar); squads; disarming mines.
- Maintenance floor - introduces robots, purchasing items and using grenades.
- At launch it was virtually impossible for first-time players to get the Natural Born Pacifist achievement because of this mission. This has since been fixed. See the achievement page for more details.