| "I once thought I could save the world... now look at it"
— Spoilers for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided follow!
Irenka Bauer is an augmented citizen and former actress living in the basement of Vincent van Aug in Prague in 2029. She is first encountered during SM01: The Golden Ticket as one of the two people Adam Jensen can assist.
Irenka Bauer used to be an actress, having starred in the movie "The Robot Within." However it appears she can no longer find acting jobs and, as a coping mechanism, has resorted to acting out R.U.R. (Rossum's Universal Robots) in the basement of the Vincent van Aug gallery, performing for stuffed animals and dolls. Part of this coping mechanism involves dissociating her personality and believing herself to be the robot Helena, a character in R.U.R., and Irenka to be a separate person. When Jensen approaches her, it is Helena who will speak with him, saying that Irenka is very scared so any news he has should be given to her.
Irenka also has a brother who has played along with her Helena personality, but is starting to get frustrated as it has been going on for several months.
The forger Milena Epstein has created a forged Augmentation Authentication Card (also known as a "permit") for Irenka. The permit, if activated at the registration office, would allow Irenka to remain in Prague without being deported to Golem City. If Adam Jensen agrees to help Milena with permit activation, he must choose between activating either hers or Edward Brod's permit.
Mission appearances Edit
- SM01: The Golden Ticket
- M7: The Rucker Extraction (if the Golden Ticket was completed prior to this mission without activating Irenka's permit)
- SM12: K is for Každý (if both the Golden Ticket and SM05: Samizdat were completed)
- If Irenka's permit was not activated, she will be in the holding cell with K and Bones, allowing you to rescue her and help her get out of Prague with the former Samizdat members.
- If Irenka's permit was activated, she will be in the northeast section of the Překážka sewers along with Little k and Milena.
- Several used condoms can be found inside Irenka's room in Golem City, suggesting that she may have been forced to turn to prostitution to make a living (although the room appears as such even if Irenka is not present). If Irenka is encountered in Golem City, she will say she does not blame you and asks if you have any Neuropozyne.
- It is unclear how she (or Edward) ended up in the holding cell in the side mission K is for Každý. If Irenka was deported to Golem City, it is possible that she, like Olivie, got someone to smuggle her out of Golem City and back to Prague, but was caught.
- When first met in the basement of Vincent van Aug, Irenka was in the middle of rehearsing for the play R.U.R. (Rossum's Universal Robots) by Karel Čapek, who was the in-universe namesake of Čapkova kašna a.k.a. "Čapek's Fountain", the metro station just down the street from her shop.
- When Jensen first approaches, Irenka says, "Is that you, Primus?" This references the character Primus from R.U.R., a male robot who falls in love with the female robot Helena and who together are viewed as a robotic Adam and Eve.