Deus Ex is a series of first person role-playing games originally produced by Ion Storm and published by Eidos Interactive. Eidos Interactive was bought by Square Enix in 2009, with Square Enix subsequently becoming the owner of the Deus Ex franchise. After the closure of Ion Storm, the task of reviving the franchise was given to the Eidos Montréal studio.
Being set in a dystopic near future, its story, universe, and artwork are heavily influenced by the cyberpunk genre. The series is inspired by films such as Blade Runner and RoboCop as well as numerous other cyberpunk works of fiction.
There are three full-length titles in the series: Deus Ex, Deus Ex: Invisible War and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The fourth game Deus Ex: The Fall was originally released for iOS and Android mobile platforms and later ported to PC. There are also books set in the Deus Ex universe: Deus Ex: Icarus Effect, Deus Ex: Fallen Angel, and the Deus Ex: Human Revolution comics.
The world of Deus Ex features a cyberpunk universe that draws heavily upon present day conspiracy theories. These include the Illuminati, Majestic 12, and Knights Templar conspiracy theories, as well as the existence of grays and the supposed secret research that takes place at Area 51.
The world of Deus Ex does not significantly differ from the real world until the 20th century. Technologies which currently do not exist appear in the Deus Ex universe, such as human augmentations, Artificial Intelligence, and transgenics.
Whilst all Deus Ex titles have distinct settings and story lines, together they explore the methods used by the world's elite to control and manipulate society.
- Deus Ex (2000) - available for Windows and Mac.
- Deus Ex: Invisible War (2003) - available for Windows and Xbox.
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution (2011) - available for Windows, Mac, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
- Deus Ex: The Fall (2013) - available on Android, iOS and PC.
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (2016) - available for Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
- Deus Ex: Human Defiance - a film adaptation of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
- Deus Ex: Icarus Effect - a prequel story set before and parallel to the beginning of Human Revolution. It was released on 11 February 2011, about six months before the game was released.
- Deus Ex: Fallen Angel - a short story about Faridah Malik.
- Deus Ex: Black Light - Follows the story of Adam Jensen following the destruction of Panchaea. This book is scheduled to be released along side Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution - a six-issue comic book series who adds a story between Adam Jensen and Faridah Malik's first departure from Detroit to Hengsha.
- Deus Ex Universe: Children's Crusade - a tie-in comic series to accompany the release of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.
- Troubleshooter - first conception Deus Ex.
- Junction Point - second conception Deus Ex.
- Shooter: Majestic Revelations - latest conception, direct preceded Deus Ex.
- There was also a planned action spin-off of the series, called Deus Ex: Clan Wars. However, the developers (Crystal Dynamics) decided to set the game in its own universe under the title Project: Snowblind.
- Deus Ex: Insurrection - a never-announced game developed between 2003 and 2004 by Ion Storm Austin.
- Deus Ex 3 - a never-announced prequel to Deus Ex developed between 2004 and 2005.