Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
In 1996, Hugh Darrow purchased a struggling firm involved in the research and manufacturing of prosthetics. He merged this company with his own previously established robotics firm, completely changing the focus of both. The merged corporation was named Darrow Industries and initially focused on prosthetics, but eventually creates the new technology of mechanical augmentations.
In 2020, Darrow fires his entire research staff and begins to sell off the company's satellite complexes. A year afterwards, Darrow purchases Omega Ranch and moves in an entire new team of Darrow Industries researchers.
Darrow Industries was heavily involved in early research of augmentation technology. In 2002 it developed a PEDOT-cluster array which allowed implanted electrodes to work more effectively. These PEDOT electrodes rely both on neurons and conducting polymers in their design. This allows them to be accepted more readily by the body; an improvement which eventually led to the emergence of mechanical augmentations. In addition, in 2005, Darrow Industries researchers create a revolutionary biosensor which further improves the connection between living tissue and artificial limbs. However, despite these advances, augmentations were still rejected by the body through a painful disorder known as Darrow Deficiency Syndrome (DDS). In order to overcome this, Darrow Industries design a drug that counteracts DDS called Neuropozyne. However, VersaLife own the patent for the drug and are responsible for its manufacturing and distribution. Certain individuals are inherently incompatible with augmentation technology, regardless of whether Neuropozyne is administered. In 2011, Darrow Industries releases a genetic compatibility test that allows people to determine if they can accept augmentations or not.
The company undergoes various developmental studies on augmentations. These studies include analysing the effectiveness of dermal modification processes, the functionality of optical augmentations and basic nanotechnological augmentations. In the study related to nano-augmentations, the idea of artificial red blood cells, referred to as "respirocytes", is discussed. According to the study, these artificial cells could hypothetically be used to hold and transport hundreds of times the amount of oxygen and carbon dioxide that normal cells can. This would allow a human who has been augmented with these respirocytes to hold their breath for unnaturally long amounts of time. In addition, with the correct modification, the respirocytes could also grant the person immunity to airborne poisons and "other toxic environments".
The corporation is involved in other endeavors apart from augmentations. Most notably, it leads the design and construction of the Panchaea installations. These geo-engineering installations hope to counteract the effects of climate change using a combination of iron-seeding and geothermal management. In order to attract the workers it needs to construct the Panchaea installations, Darrow Industries offers prospective employees free augmentations. The company also engages in research in the Omega Ranch facility, owned by Hugh Darrow.
- Darrow Industries' research into nanotechnology as outlined in Respirocyte Technology & Hazardous Environment Parsing is reminiscent of the Aqualung and Environmental Resistance nano-augmentations appearing in Deus Ex. Aqualung allows the user to hold their breath in aquatic environments for longer while Environmental Resistance protects against radiation and toxic substances. However, the mechanism of these augmentations according to Deus Ex is different to those proposed by Darrow Industries.
- ↑ Tomorrow's Man: The Hugh Darrow Story
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Timeline on the official Deus Ex website
- ↑ Neural Interface Protocols: The PEDOT Revolution
- ↑ Information station in Sarif Industries Headquarters about the history of augmentation.
- ↑ Dermal Modification Processes
- ↑ Optical Enhancement Functionality
- ↑ Respirocyte Technology & Hazardous Environment Parsing
- ↑ Darrow Denies Meeting with UN, Speaks of the Panchaea Project
- ↑ Darrow Industries Offering Substantial Incentives