| "I once thought I could save the world... now look at it"
— Spoilers for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided follow!
|"Welcome to Golem City, clank!"|
|- A policeman|
Útulek Complex or Útulek Station, nicknamed Golem City, is an enclosed city on the outskirts of Prague, Czech Republic. It was originally built by the Santeau Group to offer temporary housing to Prague's working class. Following the Aug Incident in 2027, the complex quickly devolves into a ghetto for the mechanically augmented.
The Útulek Complex served as temporary housing for augmented workers that flowed into Prague during the period of economic growth under Žofie Růžička's pro-corporate government, which relied on an augmented workforce to fuel the economic growth.
After the Aug Incident, which resulted in Žofie Růžička's death and a transition of power to a new anti-Aug government, the Czech Republic cancels Santeau's contract and seizes control of the Complex. The government then declares that the Complex would henceforth be used as permanent housing for unlicensed Augs. The Complex soon earns the nickname "Golem City."
The conditions in Golem City eventually degrade into something comparable to a prison camp. In 2029, the police artificially restrict the amount of Neuropozyne distributed in the city. In doing so, they establish a way to control the augmented population living there who need the drug to survive. State police patrol Golem City and ensure that its residents live in a constant state of fear.
In 2029, Golem City serves as the headquarters of the Augmented Rights Coalition, after its leader Talos Rucker relocated from Stuttgard sometime in 2028. By the time Adam Jensen visits Golem City, ARC activities are evident all around the Útulek Complex in the form of propaganda posters depicting Rucker and featuring various revolutionary slogans. Loudspeakers around the city broadcast messages from Rucker, such as denouncements of violence as a solution to oppression.
Lower Residential AreaEdit
- Police Station
- Mir Flats
- ARC Residential Area
- Talos Rucker's office
Ty Zahrada ("The Gardens")Edit
Large outdoor roof gardens, open to the sun, in which fresh fruit and vegetables are grown.
- According to the Art of Deus Ex Universe, the Útulek Complex was inspired by the real-world Kowloon Walled City in Hong Kong. The Walled City was a tightly packed collection of buildings with a large population density. Like Útulek Complex, the quality of life for residence was poor and the city experienced high crime rates.
- The word útulek is Czech for shelter or refuge; obviously referring to Útulek Complex's supposed function as a refuge for augmented people.
See also Edit
- Golem City computers
- Golem City pocket secretaries
- The Rucker Extraction (mission walkthrough), for annotated maps of the Útulek Complex
- Maps without annotations: